Crafting · Make Do And Mend

Upcycling finished

Finally adding the finishing touches to my singer sewing machine base. I look a while to find what I wanted for the detailing but finally decided on keeping the back and gold singer colour combination.

Using a metallic gold paint originally meant for cars so I knew it wouldn’t chip or fade I highlighted the intricate logos on the sides and the name located in the middle of the base.

After the gold detailing was finished and dried I added a simple wooded top, not 100% happy with the top but I was to excited to shop around 😅

Advertisements
Crafting · Make Do And Mend

Upcycling progress

After a lot of elbow grease and destroying a some iron wool and sponges I got the build up of muck off of my base and left it out in the sun to fully dry before applying the rust treatment and spray paint.

Once primed I covered it with 8 coats ( about 3 cans) of black gloss finish spray paint. It look about 3 days as you had to leave it for ages between coats to make sure it dried but I’ve gotta say I’m really happy with it. 😍

Crafting · Make Do And Mend

Upcycling

Now I’m not normally one for crafts that don’t involve a needle and a thread but when I found this gorgeous antique singer sewing machine base I made an exception.

After some struggle to get it in the car and back to mine I assessed the damage the original paint is chipped and it’s incredibly rusty but I feel it is destined to be my new sewing desk 🤩 I think I found my summer project, let’s hope the weather stays nice for it!

Make Do And Mend

Summer Jeans

Found these nice light striped jeans in the clearence section for only a £10 ,bargain, loved the colour and pattern but not the wide leg cut or the un-hemmed framed bottom.

So i first edited the shaping of the trouser legs for my preferred bootleg cut. after a few trials i achived the wright look not to tight but not to baggy and sewed both legs up, trimmed of the excess and edged. then i hemmed the bottom of the trousers to give them a more finished look.

Now i have a lovely summery pair of jeans 🙂

After
After
Before
Before
Make Do And Mend

Stripes

This stripey top i got for £5 as one of the buttons was missing and it became my first ‘Make Do and Mend’ project.

I didn’t like the mishmash-ed button selection anyway so i removed them all and added my own white mother of pear ones for a classier feel.

Then i hacked of the bottom of the sleeves to get rid of the ‘detailing’ and made it into a 3/4 length with a loop and button detailing to hold up the rolled edge using the cut off’s.

Before
Before
After
After
After Detail
After Detail