One of my favourite things (and sometimes most worrying must be honest) about my job is that I never know what I’m going to be doing next.
Today I did one of the oddest but amazingly interesting jobs to date, I spent the day in ascot racecourse, A place I have never been before in my life and if your planning on making your first visit honestly get a map, I got lost trying to find my way around!
And that’s only the precession lawn not the actual racecourse!
I spent the day Assisting with the set up of EcoAge’s ‘Commonwealth Fashion Exchange’, http://eco-age.com/commonwealth-fashion-exchange/, a display of 31 amazing collaborations between fashion designer and artisans over the 51 commonwealth countries. And there are some inspirational dresses on display down there:
If your are heading down Royal Ascot this season be sure to stop by and have a feast for the eyes! It is located either side of the escalators for the royal box in the royal enclosure.
My personally favourite was this amazing green dress with an Uber long train and flower detailing down the back:
Finally adding the finishing touches to my singer sewing machine base. I look a while to find what I wanted for the detailing but finally decided on keeping the back and gold singer colour combination.
Using a metallic gold paint originally meant for cars so I knew it wouldn’t chip or fade I highlighted the intricate logos on the sides and the name located in the middle of the base.
After the gold detailing was finished and dried I added a simple wooded top, not 100% happy with the top but I was to excited to shop around 😅
After a lot of elbow grease and destroying a some iron wool and sponges I got the build up of muck off of my base and left it out in the sun to fully dry before applying the rust treatment and spray paint.
Once primed I covered it with 8 coats ( about 3 cans) of black gloss finish spray paint. It look about 3 days as you had to leave it for ages between coats to make sure it dried but I’ve gotta say I’m really happy with it. 😍
Now I’m not normally one for crafts that don’t involve a needle and a thread but when I found this gorgeous antique singer sewing machine base I made an exception.
After some struggle to get it in the car and back to mine I assessed the damage the original paint is chipped and it’s incredibly rusty but I feel it is destined to be my new sewing desk 🤩 I think I found my summer project, let’s hope the weather stays nice for it!
Have some time off before I start my next wardrobe work so going back to my blue silk corset for a bit.
I added the cups into the rest of the body’s which instantly added shape and structure then I sewed the busk into the front creating the corset to create the closing and making extra sure they meet on each side.
Once that was done I went onto adding the main structure down the front, placing channels down the front of my corset to keep the steel spring boning in. I sewed one channel under the cups to act as the underwire in a bra, then three channels down the front of the course over the cups, which should not only hold in the stomach but hold up the breasts up.
Spent some time this week cording the cups for my corset. This gives them structure without having to add bra padding while also adding an interesting decorative function.
Bit experimental so can’t wait to see if it actually works!
I am a big fan of Mother’s Day, my mother is brilliant and has done so much to encourage and support me over the years, so like most of you on Mother’s Day I like to give back.
The only problem is I don’t exactly earn enough to treat her in the way she deserves, on top on that her birthday is like a week after! So instead of 2 big payouts I try and splurge on her birthday and use my making skills to try and make Mother’s Day special.
Last year I knitted her a hat and matching scarf, which as I was new to knitting is a bit snug but bless her she does actually wear …when I’m around at-least 😉
This year I’m going on a Winnie the Pooh theme, she loves the chubby little cubby all stuffed with fluff (points if you get the reference) And has these Winnie the Pooh embroidered towels I remember from when I was younger which are turning a bit thread-bear (pun unintended but I like it).
I carefully cut away the embroidery from the old towels and trimmed back to make it easier to transfer. Pinned it onto a fluffy new towel and secured it with a embroidery stitch with a matching thread.
Then once the outside was secure I worked into any work away patches with a matching thread and secured it in place with some stitch lines so it wouldn’t come away and bubble after a few washes.
All in all I am well impressed with the final outcome the colour match is pretty damn good and the finish is pretty professional if I do say do myself. So Happy Mother’s Day everyone make sure to treat your mother even if it’s just a coffee and a catch up or a new fluffy towel!